Concealed Handgun Carry Act of 2005 
Important - Please Read  

          (Effective July 1, 2007) 

Example of Concealed Carry License

Read all associated materials prior to completing the application

CCW Related News Releases:

NMDPS Concealed Carry Unit
6301 Indian School Rd NE Ste. 310
Albuquerque, NM  87110
(505) 841-8053 

Concealed Carry Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What do I need to include in my application for a Concealed Handgun Permit?

Answer: Complete Application consists of eight Items:

  1. Complete two-page application
  2. Photocopy of New Mexico Driver License of ID
  3. $100.00 Application Fee (no cash)
  4. Certified Original Birth Certificate**
  5. Training Certificate
  6. Two Fingerprint Cards, complete and signed
  7. Health Information Release Form
  8. Authorization for Release of Information

** Photocopies and/or Notarized copies will not suffice. If you would like your Birth Certificate returned include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in your packet.

Question: I understand that the Department of Public Safety has thirty days to issue my license from the time I submit my application, is this true?

Answer: No. Pursuant to Subsection A of NMSA 29-19-6, the department has thirty days after receiving a completed application and completing a background investigation, to either issue a license or deny the applicant. It could take up to ninety (90) days or more to complete a background investigation.

Question: How long is my license valid?

Answer: Concealed handgun licenses are valid for a period of four years from the date of issue, unless the license is suspended or revoked. There is a requalification requirement at two years.

Question: Does New Mexico honor any other State’s Concealed Carry Permits?

Answer: The State of New Mexico no longer recognizes concealed carry licenses issued by the State of Utah but currently has a written reciprocity agreement in place with Texas. New Mexico Department of Public Safety is reevaluating the status of eighteen other states currently recognized on an informal basis, with the intent of entering into written agreements with these states to ensure compliance. These states are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming.

Question: Can I drink alcohol while carrying?

Answer: No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications.

Question: Can an owner of private property prohibit me from carrying my concealed handgun on his premise?

Answer: Yes. Pursuant to Subsection C of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-12, any person lawfully in possession of private property may prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on such private property by posting notice in accordance with NMSA 1978 Section 30-14-6 or by verbally notifying persons entering upon the property.

Question: How long does it take to issue a license?

Answer: On average, it takes approximately eight to twelve weeks to complete a background investigation before we can process the final license applications.

Question: How do I check on the status of my license?

Answer: An applicant may contact the Special Investigations Division by telephone or e-mail to inquire on the status of their application. Agents may provide the information to the applicant after the applicant has supplied sufficient identifiers such as address, social security number, DOB, etc. However, if at any time there is a problem with your application, a letter will be sent to your provided mailing address detailing the situation.

Question: Do I have to be licensed to have a concealed loaded handgun inside my vehicle?

Answer: No. New Mexico law allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited to have a concealed loaded firearm in his/her vehicle (including motorcycles and bicycles). See 30-7-2 NMSA 1978. If you are not licensed to carry concealed in this State or in a state that NM recognizes, you may not have the weapon concealed on your person when you exit your vehicle or motorcycle.

Question: If I have my gun holstered in “plain view” on my belt will I be breaking the law?

Answer: New Mexico is an Open Carry State, meaning it is legal to carry a loaded weapon as long as it is not concealed. However, it is not legal to carry any firearm in any federal building or school. It is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to be informed as to when/where carrying is prohibited.

Question: I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun. As far as licensed liquor establishments are concerned, where can I legally carry my firearm?

Answer: As of July 1, 2007, 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 allows a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico to legally carry into a licensed liquor establishment that DOES NOT sell alcohol for consumption on the premise. Please read and ensure that you thoroughly understand above-referenced statute. It can be accessed through the main concealed carry page.

Question: Is my out-of-state permit (i.e. Florida, Utah) valid in place of a NM concealed carry license when I move to/live in New Mexico?

Answer: As of December 2008, the answer is “yes” (as long as it is from a state that NM recognizes). However, there may soon be legislation passed requiring NM residents who want to carry concealed to obtain a NM concealed carry license.

Question: I recently moved and need to update information on my concealed carry license. What should I do?

Answer: You are required to notify the Department of this change. Please review NMAC (Rules and Regulations) and submit the outlined paperwork.

Question: Can I get my original birth certificate back if I bring it in or submit by mail with my application?

Answer: Yes, you can. If you walk-in your application we will make and retain a copy of your original. If you mail in your application, provide a SASE and we will return the original to you via USPS. The Department, however, is not responsible for anything returned via SASE at your request.

Concealed Carry Classes